It is with great pleasure that we would like to announce that 5th grade students will again have the opportunity to go to IslandWood, a four day outdoor environmental education school, on December 14th-17th, 2015. We will leave shortly after school starts on Monday the 14th and will return back to school right before school gets out on Thursday the 17th.
All permission forms and health forms need to be turned in as soon as possible.
The Fall fundraiser orders will be in on Tuesday, December 8th after school for pick-up. If your 5th grader has a particular large order please arrange for picking up your student on this day. Thank you.
For more information check out the IslandWood website at:
You have a say in who can see your child’s directory information
Federal law requires schools inform parents that some of their child’s information, called “Directory Information,” might be used for certain school-related purposes. Parents and guardians may tell schools not to release this information. This is part of a law called The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA).
If you wish to restrict how the district shares this information, please contact the school office and request the form.
What is directory information?
- Your child’s name.
- Photographs, video and other images of your child.
- Recognition, diplomas and awards received by your child.
- Date and place of birth.
- Most recent and previous schools attended.
- Dates of enrollment and enrollment status.
- Participation in officially recognized activities and sports, and weight/height of student, if related to athletic participation.
- Electronic (e-mail) address and telephone number, including cell phone, student ID number.
- Student ID number (only if it cannot be used to gain access to education records).
We ask parents to think carefully before restricting this information.
Unfortunately, by restricting your child’s directory information for school publications, your student’s name and photo cannot be included in student annuals and yearbooks. He or she will not be able to be part of classroom, team or club photos which are intended to be published in yearbooks.
And, if you say “no” to providing contact information to outside organizations, your child’s name, address and phone number/s will not be provided to non-district organizations, including: graduation supplies companies; colleges; or military recruiters; and, after graduation, school reunion committees.
What if you change your mind?
If you ask us to restrict your student information, but later change your mind, just ask to update this form at your child’s school office.
FERPA Spanish 2015-16
The Federal Way School District would like the opportunity to share with you the HIV/AIDS Prevention Curriculum, which will be presented to students in grades 5 through 12.
Curriculum used at each grade level will be presented from 6:30 – 7:30 p.m. in different rooms according to grade level so that you have the opportunity to preview the materials that will be used in your child’s classroom.
This presentation is for parents only.
HIV/AIDS KNOW Prevention Curriculum Preview Nights
Wednesday October 28th, 2015
6:30-7:30 Room 104
Wednesday February 17th, 2015
6:30-7:30 Room 104
Educational Service Center/33330 8th Ave. S
HIV/KNOW Preview Night–English
HIV/AIDS Preview Night–Spanish
Will you be a 3rd-5th grader next school year? Do you want to participate in the Battle of the Books? Do you want to get a head start on reading some of the book over the summer? Here is the list of the selected titles for the 2016 Battle of the Books:
YRC Nominees 2016
- Loki’s Wolves by K.L. Armstrong & M.A. Marr
- Colossus Rises by Peter Lerangis
- Escape from Mr. Lemoncello’s Library by Chris Grabenstein
- Flora & Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures by Kate DiCamillo
- Middle School: My Brother is a Big, Fat Liar by James Patterson
- The Creature Department by Robert Paul Weston
- Never Say Die by Will Hobbs
Sasquatch Nominees 2016
- Jinx by Sage Blackwood
- Star Wars: Jedi Academy by Jeffrey Brown
- Serafina’s Promise by Ann E. Burg
- The Great Trouble by Deborah Hopkinson
- One for the Murphy’s by Lynda Mullaly Hunt
- The Adventures of a South Pole Pig by Chris Kurtz
- Rump by Liesl Shurtliff
- The Screaming Staircase by Jonathan Stroud
- The Prairie Thief by Melissa Wiley
Click on the Link Below for the 2015-2016 Supply Lists for K-5th Grades
2015 – 2016 Supply Lists
You may order school supplies through our PTA and EPI, Educational Products, Inc.
**Order Securely Online**
Starting NOW thru August 5th
- Go to educational products.com/shoppacks
- Enter the school ID, GRE379
- Follow the directions to complete your order.
- Keep your online confirmation as your receipt.
Sales tax will be applied at checkout.
School supplies will be delivered to the school and put in your child’s classroom prior to the first day of school. For questions, please contact David Goretski PTA VP at 206-683-1924.
If you need support with your username/password, you may see Shelby in the office. She is able to retrieve that information for you!
Click on the link for directions on how to activate your ParentVUE account: