Green School Campaign Project
green school/grEn skül / n. a school that creates a healthy environment that is conducive to learning while saving energy, resources and money.
Project Summary: It is important to remember that we as humans are part of the environment. With over 7 billion of us on Earth, our combined actions also have a big impact on the environment. However, at least we are aware of that impact but not everyone is. As individuals, and in small communities such as Lakota, we can find ways to work together to lessen the detrimental impacts of billions of people through our daily actions. In this project you will work in a small group to address an environmental problem that is concerning you here at Lakota. During the project you will work together to research the problem, research possible solutions to the problem implemented by other schools or districts, and then select or design one solution to implement in an awareness campaign here at school. In your campaign you will need to educate the Lakota community about the problem and provide tips or solutions to reducing or eliminating this problem at our school. Finally, you will present your research and campaign to classmates. In this presentation you will reflect on the impact of your campaign in the Lakota community and will present actions needed to continue this campaign in the future.
Essential Question: How can we educate and inspire action about environmental issues that can easily be reduced or eliminated in the Lakota School Community? How can we become a green school?
- What is an environmental problem or issue that is not being addressed in our school?
- Can this problem be easily addressed by the Lakota Middle School community (students, parents, staff) or is it beyond our control right now?
- Is this a singular problem or issue? If not, can you break it down into smaller parts and select one to use in your project?
- What have other schools or other places done to reduce or eliminate this problem?
- What steps did they take in the process to addressing this issue?
- What strategy or recommendation will you share in your campaign to reduce or eliminate this problem? Why?
- Is your strategy easily accomplished by the majority of the Lakota community? Will it be effective in reducing or eliminating the environmental problem in our school community?
- How will you educate and inspire action on school wide level? What resources do you have available to you?
- How will you know your campaign is having an impact on the school community? What are your expected outcomes if your campaign is a success?
- How will continue this campaign beyond this assignment and/or school year?
campaign: a planned and organized series of actions intended to achieve a specific goal, especially raising people’s awareness of something.
impact: the powerful or dramatic effect that something or someone has.
issue: subject of concern up for general discussion or action.
outcome: an expected or likely final achievement or result.
recommendation: a suggestion as to what is a good or sensible thing to do or use in the circumstances.
strategy: a carefully devised plan of action to achieve a goal.
FWPS Language Arts Standards:
Reading PS 5.3: Use grade-level appropriate organizational features and electronic sources to access information.
Reading PS 12: Evaluate appropriateness of a variety of resources and use them to perform a specific task or investigate a topic.
Writing PS 7.4: Applies conventional forms for citations.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
– Margaret Mead