6th Grade Charity Project
Charity: Public charities typically fund the operation of a program.
Public charities must raise 1/3 of their funds from the general public.
Governed by a board that is broadly representative of the communities which they serve.
Operate their own charity programs
Foundation: Private foundations typically have one major source of funding and generally make grants to other charitable organizations or to individuals.
Private foundations usually get their funding from a small group, usually one family/donor.
Governed by a small group; in some cases only one Director.
Give money to charities to carry out their programs.
6 QUESTIONS TO EVALUATE CHARITIES BEFORE DONATING:
1. Does the charity report its results?
2. How does the charity demonstrate the demand for its services?
3. Does the charity report its activities (what it does)?
4. Does the charity have anyone overlooking how they spend their money?
5. Does the charity provide evidence to support how it benefits others?
6. Does the charity use their evidence to learn and improve helping others?
Lakota Library Website: Click Library Website then Charities Navigator.