Dear Star Lake Families,
We are proud to announce that Star Lake Elementary has been chosen to become an AVID Elementary School starting this coming 2010-2011 school year. AVID stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination and its programs can be found in many of Federal Way middle/high schools, including Totem Middle School and Thomas Jefferson High School. AVID Center’s mission is to close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society.
AVID Elementary promotes student success by implementing specific skills that enable all students to be prepared and organized. These skills are habits, behaviors, and strategies that students can learn, strengthen, and maintain throughout their academic careers. AVID supports students in learning how to “do” school. By using these skills daily, students become proactive learners who take responsibility for their learning. AVID Elementary recognize that this “hidden curriculum” is critical to students empowerment and lifelong success.
AVID Elementary ensures all students will:
- Experience Writing to learn, Inquiry, Collaboration, Organization, and Reading to learn skills (WICOR Lesson Framework)
- Utilize organizational skills both inside and outside the classroom
- Develop student success skills for lifelong learning
- Successfully make the transition to middle school and courses of high rigor
AVID Elementary classrooms encourage:
- Organizational tool accountability and responsibility
- Use of agenda/planner to foster a “plan-ahead” mentality
- SMART goal-setting skills
- Time management skills
- Note-taking strategies (STAR)
- Inquiry method
- Collaborative learning
- Effective reading strategies for comprehension
- Building community with open communication
Please join the AVID 4/5th grade teacher team during the Back to School BBQ on Thursday, September 23rd at :00pm to learn more about the AVID Elementary program. We are also asking for families to add one last item to their back to school shopping list. A large part of the organizational piece in the classroom will include binders. Star Lake was very lucky to receive a donation from Starbucks, who has graciously provided a binder for every AVID 4/5th grade student! To be able to fully utilize this tool though, all students will need to bring a binder-ready pencil pouch. This will be needed starting the second week of school (09/07/10).
If you have any questions, please contact the Star Lake AVID coordinator, Tony Franco, at 253-945-4043
The 4/5 Star Lake AVID Team