What is AVID? AVID stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination. It is a school-wide system that supports all students. The AVID elective class is for students seeking entry into a four-year college or university who are committed to working hard, taking rigorous academic classes, being involved in extracurriculars, and graduating on time.
Who can be in the AVID elective class? The AVID elective is for students in the academic middle. Most students fit most of these criteria:
- Average to high test scores
- 2.0 – 3.0 GPA
- first in their family to go to college
- desire and determination
- commitment to use strategies to stay organized and achieve academically
- historically underrepresented in 4-year college
- extraordinary personal circumstances that, with support, can be overcome
How can I sign up to be in AVID? Contact Ms. Schumacher, AVID coordinator, for an application, or tell your guidance counselor!
AVID Teachers, 2014-2015: AVID elective teachers also teach subject area classes like Spanish, math, humanities, and language arts.
- 9th grade: Mr. Greb and Mr. West
- 10th grade: Ms. Tenzler and Mrs. Dahl
- 11th grade: Ms. Harem and Ms. Friedman
- 12th grade: Ms. Schumacher
- Administrator: Ms. Chacon
- Counselor: Ms. Leon